One of the best things about winter is the licence to self-indulge in some delicious, home grown meals. We need some reward for enduring the icy winds and a little bit of comfort food never hurt anybody. That being said, the recipe below is a healthy, economical option (especially if you are a veggie gardener) and can be prepared in just 5 simple steps.
Easy Vegetable Stew
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 250g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 600ml hot vegetable stock
- 400g can tomatoes
- 420g can butter beans, drained
- A handful of chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and fry slowly for 5 minutes.
- Add the other vegetables, cover and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, so they start to soften.
- Pour in the stock and canned tomatoes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Note: Do not be tempted to stir and mix too much as this will turn the vegetables into mush.