Every parent knows that one of the best ways to keep children entertained during the Easter holiday, is to give them a spade, some dirt and the freedom to explore and create. The only problem with this DIY activity, is that you will want to get involved too!
HOMEMADE CHIA MAN
This is an excellent way to teach your child how to care for a plant of their own. Chia seeds grow well indoors and create a lovely green “hairstyle” for your child to enjoy.
You will need:
- 2 litre Coke bottle
- Two googly eyes (you can buy these at any craft shop)
- Farmyard Organics Potting Mix
- Chia seeds (purchased in health sections at grocery stores)
- Hot glue gun or any glue that won’t eat through plastic
- Pipe cleaner or permanent marker
- Cut the coke bottle in half. If your child is old enough and you have safety scissors, you can let them cut their own bottles.
- Glue on the two googly eyes and use the lid of the bottle as a nose
- Add a mouth using a permanent marker, or some pipe cleaner.
- Once you are sure all the glue is dry, fill the bottle 3/4 of the way with Farmyard Organic’s Potting Mix
- Place the Chia seeds on top and cover them lightly with some more Potting Mix. Be careful not to smother the seeds.
- Let your child water his or her Chia man daily with a light sprinkling of water.
- Keep him on the window sill and watch his hair grow every day.